Un Samedi à Poitiers

 Marie and me. 
A bunch of my friends and I went out to a café after school on Friday to celebrate Andréa's 18th birthday. 
 Andréa and Agnès
 Saturday, I had an AFS meeting in Poitiers. We met up at the Hotel de Ville in the centre-ville. There, they split us up into teams and we were sent on a scavenger hunt around the city. This behind Le Palais de Justice (the courthouse of Poitiers). 
In Poitiers
I adore "les maisons à colombages", (the buildings with the supporting wood beams showing through the walls). This style of building is more popular in other cities in France. These buildings in Poitiers were built during the Middle Ages. 
 Poitiers
 Touring the city with the help of the two map experts, Kati and Karolina. 
 Poitiers
La Cathédrale de Poitiers 
Saint-Pierre
 We passed this house during the scavenger hunt. I stopped to take a photo of the door knocker. 
 La Cathédrale de Poitiers
  La Cathédrale de Poitiers
 Our beautiful team.
(I couldn't help but post this picture of Stormie!) 
These gargoyles are going to give me nightmares! 
 The gardens next to la Cathédrale de Poitiers. 
 This is the oldest building in Poitiers. It's almost 1,000 years old! 
 I thought this bumper sticker was nifty. :) I also wanted to take a picture of this because bumper stickers are not popular here. 
 Stormie, Karolina, and me

 Stormie lives in Poitiers. She told us that this Crêperie is not only adorable, but the food is delicious.
 We ran into a protest. I've been told that protests are pretty common here, but I hadn't run into one until yesterday. This march was supporting right for gay marriage. They chanted "Tous Ensemble, Tous Ensemble, Marriage pour tous!"(Literal translation: Together, Together, Marriage for all!) The right to gay marriage is a hot button issue here, too.
The protest blocked the streets so you couldn't get through. 

 An example of "une maison à colombages"
 Olof and Magda by a sign for l'Hôtel Berthelot. (We go to Lycée Berthelot.)
 Kristine, Pilar, and Magda by a mini Statue of Liberty.
 Janina and Olof skipping down the sidewalk of Poitiers. They are host sisters, (there are two exchange students who live in the same house.)
 Poitiers
 We re-united and ended the scavenger hunt with a little party where we ate the Galettes des Rois. (A cake of Kings). Every January, it is tradition that you eat this type of cake. Here's a link (in english) below explaining the tradition as I'm too lazy to explain:
 Kristine and me
After the reunion with AFS, some people went shopping to take advantage of les soldes. "Les soldes" is explained in last Wednesday's post, (January 9th). Instead of shopping, I went to a café with a couple of friends. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment